Certified Diabetic Education
Certified Diabetic Educators (CDEs) are healthcare professionals who have been trained to coach patients on how to successfully manage their diabetes. During a visit, the CDE may cover glucose testing, medication dosing, insulin delivery, results logging and more. A CDE can also help patients adjust their diabetes routine in terms of nutrition, exercise, and overall lifestyle to gradually achieve their goals. Some CDEs even have specialized training as insulin pump educators, focusing on helping patients get set up on those advanced devices.
Here are examples of a few scenarios where a Certified Diabetes Educator could help:
- You’ve been having a challenging time with blood glucose management recently and can’t seem to get your numbers in the target range.
- You’re newly diagnosed with diabetes and don’t know what to eat.
- You’ve recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and need support during your pregnancy.
- You are starting to use your new insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor and need education on how to begin.
- You were recently diagnosed with prediabetes and want know what you can do to reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.